Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Berries

Whew! Where have I been!? I certainly haven't been paying too much attention to my poor little blog. Unfortunately, I haven't been up to anything really exciting to tell you about now. Well, not exciting if you don't like fruit. If you love berries like us then perhaps you'll enjoy this little post.

Yesterday we went to a little farm about 1 hour south of SLC to pick raspberries and blackberries. It was very enjoyable. The weather was nice and so was the conversation. I continue to be impressed with the produce here. I mentioned a few posts ago how much I love the peaches. The blackberries are also the most delicious that I've ever tasted. Eating a huge, juicy, tender blackberry just plucked off the bush is such a treat! Delectable. The store bought ones pale in comparison.

So, we came home with 10 lbs of blackberries and 9 lbs of raspberries. We're freezing some, and maybe canning some, and gorging ourselves with the rest. A few months ago we went to pick cherries at this same farm and I wrote about it here. But if you missed that post, I'll mention again why I love picking my own fruit so much. First, it's much cheaper. We paid $2 per lb for blacks and $2.25 per lb for raspberries. That's so much cheaper than the store where you pay $3-$5 for a tiny carton. Second, as I already described, the taste is incomparable. Finally, I like to eat local as much as I can because I think it's healthier for us and for the environment.

Yes, this is a visual definition of the word dork.

Tonight I made a Blackberry-Lemon Upside-Down Cake. It was easy and delicious. Try it while berries are in season!

Blackberry-Lemon Upside-Down Cake:

Yield

8 servings

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine, melted
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
  • 2 cups fresh blackberries
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup fat-free milk

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place 2 teaspoons melted butter in the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan; sprinkle with brown sugar and lemon rind. Top with blackberries; set aside.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.

Beat granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons butter in a large bowl at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add the egg and vanilla; beat well. Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition. Spoon batter over blackberries.

Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen edges of cake with a knife. Place a plate upside down on top of cake pan; invert onto plate.

Nutritional Information

Calories: 239 (18% from fat)
Fat: 4.8g (sat 2.7g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.4g)
Protein: 3.7g
Carbohydrate: 46.2g
Fiber: 2.4g
Cholesterol: 38mg
Iron: 1.5mg
Sodium: 224mg
Calcium: 97mg

2 comments:

Jim and Jill said...

Jim, the boys, and John Fields, and I all went to pick blackberries and peaches in Indiana recently. I could not believe my ears when she told me our total: $77.00. Big oops! Oh well, it was fun and we got some yummy fruit as well as desserts out of all that expense! Next time we'll be a wee bit more conservative!!!!

Vanessa Rogers said...

yummy, sounds delicious!